Wellingtons are fashionable again, but they don’t have to contain beef. A whole salmon en croûte is a lovely Christmas party centrepiece.
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled
- 5 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 50g/1¾oz fresh dill, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 380g/13oz ready-made puff pastry sheet
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 x 2.8kg/6lb salmon, skin removed and filleted into 2 pieces
- 1 free-range egg, beaten, combined with a little milk
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
Slice the cucumbers lengthways, scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon, and chop into 1cm/½in thick pieces.
Place the cucumbers in a mixing bowl with the mustard, honey, vinegar and finely chopped dill. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
Roll the pastry out to 40cm/16in x 30cm/12in on a lightly floured surface. Lay on the lined baking tray.
(source: BBC Food)